How am I supposed to demonstrate my competency as a nurse?
A nurse may choose among three methods of demonstrating his or her continuing competency for each two-year licensing period. A nurse may complete 20 contact hours of continuing nursing education (CNE) in the nurse's area of practice; achieve, maintain, or renew an approved national nursing certification in the nurse's area of practice; or the nurse may attend an academic course that meets the prescribed criteria. Nursing requires lifelong learning and the continuing competency process allows the nurse to continue to grow professionally.
If you have additional questions within the broad topic of continuing competency, then you may wish to explore some of the additional information provided at the links below:
- I see the abbreviations CE, CEU, CNE, and CME. What do they mean, and which ones can I use to meet my continuing competency requirements?
- What happened to Type I and Type II contact hours?
Area of Practice
- What does "area of practice" mean?
- How do I apply this to my area of practice?
- When do I need to be in compliance with the rule changes related to contact hours in my area of practice?
- What if I want to learn about a new area of nursing practice?
- I have more than one area of practice; do I need 20 contact hours in each area of practice?
- Last licensure time period, I got extra CNE, can I use it for my next licensure?
- What do I need to do if I get selected for a Continuing Competency audit?
- I was selected for a continuing competency audit, submitted more than enough CNE and received a letter rejecting my CNE. What do I do now?
- What if I don't agree with the results of the Board audit findings in relation to my compliance with continuing competency requirements?
- I submitted CNE in response to an audit but now I cannot renew my nursing license. Why?
Continuing Nursing Education (CNE)
- I have 19.3 contact hours. Where can I find a continuing nursing education (CNE) opportunity for 0.7 hours prior to my licensure renewal next month?
- The ACLS course I just took did not offer CNE, why can't I count this course?
- I am a nurse educator. What CNE topics or certifications would be applicable to my area of practice?
- I am a nurse administrator. What CNE topics or certifications would be applicable to my area of practice?
- I work in utilization review. What CNE topics or certifications would be applicable to my area of practice?
- I am an attorney and I am a nurse. What CNE topics would be applicable to my area of practice?
Initial Nursing License & Reactivating a Nursing License
- I just moved to Texas and endorsed my license. What is meant by "initial licensure period"?
- I want to reactivate my license after being out of nursing for five years. What do I need to do?
Nursing Certification to Meet Continuing Competency Requirements
- How can I tell if my nursing certification is Board approved to meet continuing competency requirements?
- What is the difference between a certificate of course completion and certification?
Responsibility of the Nurse
- Is there a grace period to complete continuing nursing education?
- Will I receive a reminder to complete my CNE?