HB 2426 of the 80th Texas Legislative Session required the Board to implement a policy on the 'Use of Technology'. The Board's intent is to deploy technological-based solutions when possible and offer this written policy for consideration.
Current and emerging information technologies have the potential not only to improve administrative efficiencies through greater use of appropriate technological solutions, but perhaps more importantly, to increase the level of governmental services provided to constituents.
Technologies are an indispensable part in determining the quality and accessibility of services at the Board of Nursing. In expanding and improving the use of technologies, the board will make every reasonable effort to perform the following.
- Incorporate Internet solutions in existing functional requirements and determine if regulatory barriers, which limit Internet solutions, are necessary or can be fulfilled though different avenues. New regulations and requirements will be evaluated for technological solutions during the planning process and when appropriate, deployed with an Internet solution at the implementation of the new requirement.
- Streamline administrative and board functions through the implementation of workflow and web processes, decrease the amount of paper documents produced and required, pursue electronic data exchange opportunities with our stakeholders and continue to support current and new collaborative efforts with other state agencies.
- Ensure technology assets are secure, up-to-date, available for use and recoverable. Electronic penetration test, technological disaster recovery scenarios and testing of secondary data sites will be performed and reviewed annually.
- Securing funding for implementation of new technologies, redesign of existing applications, refresh of agency hardware and software and staff training.
- Comply with State technology mandates and recommendations.
Standards Review and Recommendations Publications (SRRPUB): http://www.dir.state.tx.us/standards/index.htm.
Texas Administrative Code, 201 - 216: http://info.sos.state.tx.us/pls/pub/readtac$ext.ViewTAC?tac_view=3&ti=1&pt=10
Government Code, 2054: http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/statutes/gv.toc.htm